Saturday, January 24, 2009

A little testimony

I just wanted to take a little break from opinionated topics. And take a little time to praise God for something He's done in my life recently. This semester has been really hard, I transferred to a new college in the South and I've been struggling with it. I've been pretty depressed about it.

Last week, just when I was not having a good attitude about my circumstances, there was a very good sermon. An evangelist came and spoke about Paul and the different institutions he was known in, challenging the student body as to whether they were known for integrity as well.

While, I sat there I kept on thinking to myself. "Man, I've heard this sermon before, I know it!" For the longest time though I couldn't figure it out. Then the man prayed, and he gave his name - Bro. Kistler, and it hit me.

Ten years ago this May, I visited the Northwest A.C.E. convention in Washington. One of the nights Bro. Kistler was speaking at one of rallies. He gave that same sermon, concluding with Romans 10:14, How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?`` Which is now my life verse.

At the end of his prayer, he asked those who wanted to commit their lives to full-time ministry to come forward. I went down at the age of nine, walked the aisle, and bowed my knees at the alter. I remember Bro. Kistler putting his hands on my shoulder, and praying with me. Afterward he told me to write it down in my Bible, I did and I still have that Bible. I gave my life for the spreading of God`s Word that night.

And there he was, bro. Kistler. The man that got me into the ministry that I know God has prepared and is preparing me for. It was a very special thing for me. I went to him, told me my name and how he was used by God to change my life at such a young age. We had a great talk. I don`t know about the rest of Bro. Kistler`s ministry, but it changed my life. That`s my opinion...well...That`s my story. Take it or leave it. - Dean

2 comments:

  1. Dean,

    Great to hear! The Lord used an "old fashioned" evangelist as a tool to bring me to salvation long ago - praise God for his work!!

    Study hard

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) dean that's really cool.. that's super exciting! i love how God always gives us that little extra grace boost when we need it. it makes you know He doesn't ever leave us alone..

    ReplyDelete